Thursday, August 16, 2012

Children's Book Review: Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley

I love, LOVE this book by Aaron Blabey:

All book pictures from Penguin Books website
I first discovered it in a classroom (being a primary school teacher means I basically spent a year becoming even MORE in love with children's books as I discovered more and more cute ones... and a total jealousy of teacher-librarians.  They have AWESOME jobs!!) while I was on my internship in 2008, and I just love it.  It's about two very wonderful friends, who are so, so very different:


See? :)  I bought it for James, because it's kind of like us, with the boy and girl opposite :)  I  think the author wrote it about his wife, but it's super cute for children to learn that differences in friends can be a wonderful thing!!

The next year I was teaching and I couldn't help but notice during one of our library sessions when we were learning about the children's books of the year nominees, that Aaron Blabey had another book shortlisted!! :)  And it turns out he has a few books out now:


(a very short boy, with a very tall friend - again, super cute!!:) Message: It's okay to be short, OR tall! :)


A very individual little girl with a GIANT personality :) Message:  It's okay to be yourself, even if you are a little different! :)

I have read all of these, and they are totally cute!!  So far I only own Pearl Barley and Charley Parsley.  But that can be remedied ;)

Since then I've discovered he's written another book about some bellybutton fluff (The Dreadful Fluff), and one about a Ghost, and a little boy who frees his little town from her influence (The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon).  I have not read either of these, but they look totally fun and cute too, and I can't wait to check them out!! :)

Aaron Blabey is technically or I guess originally an artist, so he illustrates/writes.  I love his pictures, and I love the sweet, cute, fun and important messages his books send out to all his readers.

And I love the homepage of his website (www.aaronblabey.com):

Group photo of Aaron's characters, each holding signs to guide you through the website

Aren't those links cute?!! :)

Happy reading!!!!

3 comments:

  1. These look great Abby, thank you! :) I'm going to look up his website...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the Pearl Barley and Charley Parsley book and it's totally cute!
    I haven't read any of the others yet but I'm keen to now!
    Thanks Blabadabs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look totally cute :)
    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete