Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Musings - Smile :)


When I was studying psychiatric nursing I came across this story:

Dr. Jerome Motto had a patient who committed suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge.  "I went to this guy's apartment afterward with the assistant medical examiner," he later recounted to a journalist.  "The guy was in his thirties, lived alone, pretty bare apartment.  He'd written a note and left it on his bureau.  It said, 'I'm going to walk to the bridge.  If one person smiles at me on the way, I will not jump."




Smile smile smile



I've always remembered that.  A simple smile can mean so much, and it does cost nothing.  When our lives are richly padded with smiles, we can under-appreciate how necessary an occasional smile can be to each one of us.  Especially when our lives are rich with smiles, it's good to remember that we should share generously with those about us.




They may not need me,
But they might.
I’ll let my head be just in sight.
A smile as small as mine may be
Precisely their necessity.

Emily Dickinson





6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too. It helps keep me on the right track :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

    Fabulous thought. I want to bring sunshine into somebody's life! I like to think that my smile can make a difference :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your beautiful smile makes a big difference, Betts :D
      xoxo

      Delete